The Yellow Wizard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ye Olde Roleplaying forum with ye tavern feele. Stay awhile, have an adventure

You are not connected. Please login or register

Digsites and Dragons

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Digsites and Dragons Empty Digsites and Dragons Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:03 pm

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

There is a certain item that has come into the hands of the Faculty of Archaeology in the University of Absalom (see attached file).

Each of you, while of divergent life paths, are graduates of this fine and time honored department. However, something has made you wish to leave Absalom for a time. Perhaps it is the drudgery of teaching, your painful fellow members of the faculty, or the fact you broke a priceless ceramic vase. No matter what it is that drives you, you have collaborated with your fellow staff member in planning a venture into the deserts of Osirion.

Important Notes

Participants should generate a level 3 player character. Character must have graduated from the Faculty of Archeology in the University of Absalom, and have a willingness to cooperate with their fellow staff members.

Characters may have standard starting wealth, and be generated using 20 point buy.
Characters may have 1 trait.
Characters may gain an additional 2 background skill points per level, as per the background skill rules.
In place of a piece of clothing to begin the adventure, characters may allocate up to 50gp over 3 or more pieces of clothing.
Characters may begin with a very small but well maintained residence in Absalom. Their wages from the university will cover this residence as long as they stay in good standing with it.
Characters may each begin with a bottle of fine wine, to be opened to celebrate an accomplishment related to their expedition.

Play will begin with characters arriving by boat at the last settlement before embarking into desert. By that point they will already have traveled from Absalom by boat up the River Sphinx in Osirian to near the village of Djefet.

Prospective players should make post including the following:
Character Name:
Character Race:
Character Class:
Appearance: (This should include the attire the character normally wears)
Disposition:

Last edited by SonofGrimm on Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:12 pm

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

*Reserved Post*

Once the game begins, I would like a post rate of once per day, minimum. This could be changed readily if anyone requests it.

3Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

That file didn't seem to upload properly, so I've put it here. Also, I've given you DM powers on the forum.

I'll have a big offline period as I do stuff from the 21st onwards, but I'll just put in a placeholder here and put my character out, including character sheet (Since there's not any easy way of making a new character sheet on an account I'll make a new one when it comes to it). And join when I can or something.

Pooka:

Character sheet will come later. But for now, a summary:

Name: Pooka
Race: Kobold
Class: Occultist (Possibly Reliquarian archetype, but more likely vanilla)
Appearance: Kobold with pink scales, some slightly blackened with small spots. Slender snout. Long, whippy tail. Spike 'hair', fairly long. Wears long white robes in this hot weather, with gold-threaded shawl. Crocodile-leather belt. Sandals. Golden gloves on each hand. Golden dragon earring in left ear. Hessian belt pouch containing a silver statuette of a dragon in flight with a crystal ball embedded in its chest. Three iron brushes on the belt. Backpack containing stuff. Belt pouch with various archaeological tools sticking out the top. (More coming with when I think of more gear I need)
Disposition: Cheerful, Affectionate, Enthusiastic.
Attachments
Digsites and Dragons AttachmentPitch-Digsites-and-Dragons.txt
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(3 Kb) Downloaded 4 times

4Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:49 pm

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

Sorry, I did not notice the file did not attach.

In Regards to Pooka
Pooka's life has afforded her some minor advantages. In her days in Eisard, Doctor Jones encouraged her enthusiasm with tall tales of her own adventures, and those of her fellow Archaeologists. She is aware that ruins seem to almost always have some amount of traps, and some amount of either wild animal inhabitants, undead monstrosities or animated constructs to contend with. Additionally, while travel to excavation sites frequently holds the natural perils of inclement weather, savage tribes or hostile wilderness monsters, most often the greatest danger of forays is other explorers.

In her tales, the villains often were greedy local warlords, foreign government agents or even a  brand of fellow treasure hunter out to claim the prizes of a temple or lost city for themselves. From these stories, Pooka can easily name off the top of her head the most famous Chelish explorers.

With Apsu's guidance, Pooka can find her way into several lesser known libraries of religious knowledge in Absalom, and as such can gain a +2 circumstance bonus on Knowledge: Religion checks when she does so. Also, Doctor Jones gave Pooka her permission to access her own personal collection of historical texts in her office to assist with her studies (as well as a key to gain access them), with the request that she gives the room a dust whenever she does (Doctor Jones tends to spend more time abroad than in Absalom). Pooka gains a +2 circumstance bonus to Knowledge: History checks when she utilizes this collection. Pooka may attempt these knowledge checks untrained when using these knowledge sources.

5Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:39 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

I love it when NPCs just take on a life of her own. She was just a character I made up on the spot to guide Lena through Absolom and find stuff for her, but she was too much fun to leave alone.

Pooka's Character Sheet v3:

EDIT: Now v3. Added extra gear. Changed a feat to something more suitable for background. Adjusted skills.

Last edited by Quark on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

6Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:59 am

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

I am sorry, I did not make this clear. By standard starting wealth, I should have said recommended wealth for a 3rd level character.

7Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:49 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Well, I think I'm good to go now I can post regularly again.

8Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:48 am

Malagbaal

Malagbaal
Aristocrat

Name: Janus Ethral
Race: Elf
Class: Bard (Archaeologist)
Appearance: Currently draped in local attire - robes and a turban, to help with the sun. Usually Wears studded leather armour under a fairly heavy looking... mostly waterproof leather jacket, though that will hardly help much currently. Dark/browns for pants and shirt. He also has short blonde hair, and deep blue eyes.
Disposition: Friendly, but typically cautious. He prefers not to rush into a fight unless it seems necessary, and the quiver of arrows at his side and bow at his back make it clear sometimes it has probably been necessary.

The light sailship scrapes across the sand in the shallows of the river as the ship approaches the docks of Dejat. I say ‘docks’ but I truly doubt the word will be a fair description. More likely a pile of twigs tied together - civilisation we have left far behind us in the dust and dunes to the north.

The heat beats down from the harsh sky above, and I am glad I have switched to the local garb, a turban, scarf and robes. Glancing at them, I would have thought the getup sweltering but it seems to help insulate against the heat rather than trapping it as I expected at first. And now I look less obviously out of place; before I looked like a hopelessly lost elf, now I only look like a… well, a tall skinny human I expect, at a glance at any rate.

I touch my hand to the side of my head and wince. My ears were rather red before I donned my turban that one of the crew so generously loaned me. I itch at the bite of a flea or two, but I can’t complain, and I can always deal with the insects later.

‘Janus Ethral, Historian of the University of Absolom’ I think to myself. It still sounds odd, even a few months later, that in the blink of an elven eye - just four years, I was not only qualified, but investigating the map from the very tablet that had inspired me when I had seen it in the Elven palace as a child many years ago with my family. I swat at a loudly buzzing insect, ignore the smell and smile broadly. What a turn of events; and things could only get more interesting from here!

What could possibly go wrong?

9Digsites and Dragons Empty Thrax Ternockl Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:42 am

Kaboosh

Kaboosh
Drunkard

Name: Thrax Ternockl
Race: Wyvaran
Class: Ranger (Dungeon Rover)
Appearance: Like most Wyvaran, Thrax is intimidating up close, with piercing yellow eyes and shiny blue scales, he has a small section of his right ear ripped off due to a childhood scuffle and is almost permanently seen with an amused, if somewhat predatory, smirk on his face. He typically wears his breastplate amour in day to day activities but otherwise prefers wearing expensive silk robes. Not just for the comfort of smooth silk on his scales, but the added comfort of having the knowledge he's wearing a peasants monthly salary.  
Disposition: Snarky, Condescending, Rude, but extremely Loyal.

I look once again at the piece of paper the humans had given me, I understand the concept of an "Archaeology Degree" in theory, but actually having one felt weird to me, trust the humans to come up with the concept of having a piece of paper just to prove that you knew something, A Wyvaran would have just asked. Then again this wasn't at all what I had originally set out to do. I'm just trying to find a decent, secure, defensible underground tomb to build my lair. I found out years ago about this group of humans would trade worthless ancient trinkets (They weren't even gold or gems! Just tablets with weird symbols and old dusty books) in exchange for the locations of possibly new homes. Every time I cleared one out for them and gave them their useless junk they would get really excited and fawn over the ancient almost ruined things.

Until last week, when they had a big ceremony and said that "In recognition of your continued support of the Faculty of Archaeology at the University of Absalom, we hereby present to you this honorary degree for your efforts" Then they went on and on about some "great" artifact that they recently found, something about a map and Bel-Dar. But what really got me interested was when they mentioned the huge unexplored dungeon that this map leads to, could this be the home I have been searching for? Hmmmm, I may take them up on the offer to join the team that goes to retrieve this....whatever, in exchange, the temple it's in will be all mine!

10Digsites and Dragons Empty Arrivals Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:41 pm

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

In Regards to Janus:

In Regards to Thrax:

Now, let us begin.

Prologue:

Djefet and Not-Djefet:

The Present:

11Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

(Sorry, I'd like a little bit of time to get to know my travelling companions before we progress; this would likely happen on the ship from Absolom)

I dash up along the deck, pink tail whipping wildly around behind me through the hole in my newly-bought white robe. It's fun to be on a ship, with the salty air and cries of gulls, even if it isn't as fast as teleportation. I'll always remember this, the start to my first real adventure as an archaeologist! It's like a dream come true!

As my two great new friends come up onto the deck as well, I run over to them and dance around them happily.

Hey, guys! It's so exciting, isn't it? I've only just graduated, but I've already got this great job excavating this long lost ruin! We're going to make history, together! It's going to be so much fun!

Just in case you guys have forgotten, my name's Pooka! I've wanted to do this sort of thing my whole life, so this is all very exciting for me! I'm so honoured to be able to work with you! Especially the great Thrax himself!
I sigh dreamily. You look even cooler than I thought you'd be! So much like a dragon! You're one of my heroes, finding all those incredible ancient artefacts and looking like a dragon, and, and... I clamp my claws over my snout and turn away in embarrassment.

Um, sorry. I didn't mean to, um, come on to you so quickly. Um, I mean, come on to you like that. Um. Oh no, I keep messing up! I hope he doesn't hate me now. Maybe if I change the subject quickly they won't notice. Janus! He he he. You look pretty young, but you're an elf, right? You must have lived so long already! I bet you've seen all kinds of amazing things already, and know a whole lot of stuff about history! What did you major in? I can't remember if I saw you in class or not.

12Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:35 pm

Kaboosh

Kaboosh
Drunkard

Oh Susurex it's that talkative pink kobold, what's it's name? Puny? Putta? Snooker? Oh right, Pooka. How does a kobold even get to be pink anyway? Is it some kind of hybrid between a Red and White variant? Hmmm, if so it means that it could have strange powers. That or it's insane and dyed its entire body, either way I better play it safe until I know more. Wait, has it been talking this entire time? I'm used to kobolds fawning over me, as is the natural order, but this is just silly.

Thrax looks down at Pooka with a large obviously forced grin on his face.

Errr, yes, hello Pooka, it's very nice meeting you as well. I hope that we will become great allies throughout the coming ordeals. Feel free to ask me for any assistance that you may need, although if you excuse me I need to stretch my wings, going too long without using them makes them stiff for days.

Thrax displays his wings as wide as possible and with a few flaps starts to slowly fly around the deck of the ship.

That's right Thrax, build up the trust, see what the kobold is capable of. If she's useful then she will make a fine first edition to my kobold lair guards. Just like father used to have. If not then I can probably get her to run errands for me, or at the least go first into rooms to check for traps. The elf will also need a close eye, I don't trust anything with that fashion sense, at least it doesn't seem to talk as much as Pooka.

13Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:58 am

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

As Thrax swoops over many a chorus of panicked cries erupt around from the multitude of barges and smaller ships that wind through the River Sphinx. However, on realizing that you aren't going to terrorize the fishermen or savage the merchants the clamor changes to whoops and cheers with each aerial maneuver. However, much to Thrax's alarm, a much larger scaled humanoid swoops before him from his peripheral: another Wyvaran. This dragon, dazzling in golden scales and runic armor, bares his fangs in a confident grin, before shoulder charging towards Thrax. The move is lightning quick, and before the blue wyrm has time to change course, the other dragon smashes through him.

Completely harmlessly, as the illusion slides through him and winks out of existence. From a larger, opulent barge below, someone lets out a cascading laugh at Thrax's fluster. Though the wyvaran had been intangible, the blow to Thrax's ego still stung.

(Just let me know when you want to get to the destination)

14Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:29 am

Kaboosh

Kaboosh
Drunkard

I want the name, location and description of the mage that did this, Thrax is gonna have to drown someone on the way and make it look like an accident.

Failing that, at least the name of the ship.

15Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

What, he ignored me? I don't think he paid attention to a word I said! Guess a brilliant guy like him must get a lot of attention from adoring fans. I don't want to seem like another in a line of fan girls, so maybe if I just pretend I'm not interested he'll like me more. At least since he ignored me he won't have noticed my blunder and I can act cold towards him without him noticing.

I watch Thrax fly around a little, admiring his skill. When the illusion threatens him I gasp and take a step towards him to try to help, but then remember I'm trying to be cold towards him and laugh at him instead.

Te he he! I didn't think he'd fall for such an obvious illusion.

16Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:50 pm

Malagbaal

Malagbaal
Aristocrat

I'd seen the little Kobold around but had not paid much heed to her until now other than to remark on the quite lovely and unusual shade of pink her scales.

As she greets me, I offer her my hand, and stoop a little to help match her height. "Hey Pooka, yes, I'm Janus. I honestly don't recall seeing you or..." I glance at the rather more intimidating looking Wyvaran, apparently momentarily stunned in the air by the illusion, ..."Thrax during my studies. I'll be honest, I spent most of my time at the university huddled within dusty corners of the library, working or aiding at digs." I pause, before continuing.

"My studies focussed mostly on history, with an emphasis on Inner Sea nations. I've always been very fond of Osirion history, it's nice to finally be here."

17Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:35 pm

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

Thrax is easily able to identify the offending ship. Also an oared galley, but twice the length and breadth of yours, and manned with two levels of rowers rather than one. The white painted vessel also seems to lack a similar burden, and so is moving swiftly down river, the opposite direction to Thrax's ship. On the side is painted in black letters "The Everlight's Arc". In the middle of the main deck is a white marquee from where the laughter originated. Swooping low towards the ship, a half dozen burly and tanned soldiers level gilded spears at Thrax, panic, anger and surprise rippling through them. Behind them, the cerulean archaeologist spies his target; a dark lady in gold jewelry and white dress. She lounges on a pile of cushions, her long black hair filled with golden beads and blue-gem studded clasps. In contrast to the soldier's fiery response, she is smiling cheekily, giving Thrax a nod of recognition before chuckling once more, accentuating her crows feet. As Thrax studies her, he is sure he will recognize her on sight, for the skin, while otherwise dark black, is marked by a golden ankh on her right cheek.

Neither ship has halted, and as they are moving in opposite directions, Thrax will probably need to shortly make a choice of whether to resolve his feud now or continue with the ship.

(I promise I'll let you meet her again if you don't start combat in the prologue.)

18Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:45 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

I nod, appreciating that Janus has bent down. I like being able to see people's faces.

There's definitely a lot to see and excavate, even in Absolom. I've always wanted to try to get inside the Spire of Nex! It's such a mysterious place, I bet we could learn loads of stuff if only we could get inside.

It's exciting to be here in Osirion! I've done so much study on it, and its historical relationships with Nex. There are so many ruins and unexplored places, there's bound to be a bunch of archaeological treasures to find even before we get to Bel Dar.

Hey, you're looking a little sunburnt. I think I've got some chill cream around here somewhere if you want some.

19Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:56 pm

Malagbaal

Malagbaal
Aristocrat

"Yes, this map we're following now was actually part of my inspiration to investigate the past as a child," I reply, "So I too, am quite thrilled to be here."

I smile, and touch my fingers to my rather hot, dry skin. "Many thanks Pooka, that would be lovely. I imagine your skin is a bit more resistant to this than mine!"

20Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:07 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

My tail twitches with curiosity. You got to see the tablet before it got donated to the University? Wow! No wonder you became an archaeologist! I thought it would be locked up somewhere hard to find or look at, maybe with a lot of other treasures. I rummage through my possessions until I find one of the pots of chill cream and pass it up to Janus.

(I've had enough time to gauge what the rest of the party's like now, and am ready to continue when everyone else is)

21Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:24 am

Kaboosh

Kaboosh
Drunkard

Thax gives a large smile to the woman before heading back to his own ship I was going to teach the upstart a lesson, but someone of that level of wealth and taste deserves a more personal approach, she almost reminds me of a blue dragon.

As he lands on the ships deck he glances at any crew that seem amused at the little stunt that just occurred, and shoots them a withering gaze that screams "Sleep with one eye open" Before making his way to Janus and Pooka.

"Greetings my new travelling companions, since this trip will take a while I was wondering if one, or both of you, could fill me in on what things and creatures I can and cannot break inside the tomb? Considering I have never attended a single class, ever, on the subject I thought it best to ask for your guidance. For that matter, what does the thing we are searching for actually look like anyway?"

He gives a quick glance at Janus "Forgive my crassness, but are elves supposed to have skin like that? I thought your people were usually pale?"

Oh Susurex, both of them are weird colors, what the heck have I gotten myself into?

For reference, Blue is speech, Italics are thoughts, and normal text are descriptions.

22Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:19 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

(It's a good convention that I'm following as well, but with bold pink for speech)

Aaaahhhh! He spoke to me In Love! No, focus, focus! Don't act adoring for him, just pretend you hate him.

Um, aren't you a famous archaeologist already? Just keep doing what you always do when you find a new place, dummy. Whatever you're doing, obviously someone thinks you're doing it the right way. I give a little sniff of disdain.
No one knows what the Smaller Monk-Keigh looks like, or what it is. The name practically screams monkey, so maybe that's what it looks like? The records say that El-Dar stole it from the Order of White Sphinxes, and that someone was a master of it and used it to defeat his enemies. It doesn't make a lot of sense for someone to be a master of a non-sentient or immobile thing, and it has to be something actually physical since it was stolen, so my guess is it's some kind of construct, intelligent item or maybe some kind of bound outsider.

23Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:55 am

Kaboosh

Kaboosh
Drunkard

Thrax looks stunned.

Did that kobold just talk smack to me? A Kobold just talked back to me! How.......refreshing.

Thrax bends over and gives Pooka a genuine smile.

"In the 30 years of life that I have spent around grovelling kobolds I had yet to meet one with anything resembling a spine, and here you are acting all high and mighty! It's refreshing to see that dragon blood still pumps in those veins after all. I think we'll get along fine after all, Pooka the Pink."

(I'm also ready to skip the boat ride when others are)

24Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:59 pm

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

Captain Swart lumbers over, gold tooth on proud display as she thumps Thrax friendly on the back. "I hear you're asking for more tales of Osirion's crypts and perils, which I will surely oblige. Hmmm. I've got one in mind, it's about a slave..."

The Slave That Lived:

"...but it seems we have arrived at our destination. I will need to guide the ship into harbor, but I wish you good luck on your plundering. I do hope you come back alive. Hahahaha." the Captain makes ready to bring the ship into dock, and it is not long before the three archaeologists see the sights of the small town of Not-Djefet.

(I know I'm pushing this along. Sorry about that.)

Last edited by SonofGrimm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling Correction)

25Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

A refresher:

Oooohhhh! We're finally here! How exciting! I charge off the deck of the ship and onto the docks and take a look at the surroundings.

It's a quaint little town. Reminds me a little of Lena's little holiday place near Lake Silverstep. Except more agricultural and dirty. And not quite so pretty. But are those talismans being sold over there? Those famous fake tourist talismans? That's got to be worth a look! And worth checking with Apsu about as well. Apsu, do you think those talismans are what the seller says they are? Would it be worthwhile buying one? (That's one of my many uses of augury by the way)

26Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:51 pm

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

As you step off the ship, and begin gather your power to question Apsu, you feel the approving gaze of the Waybringer upon you. "Ah, you have made it here without incident. This is good. My fellow Gozreh granted you clear skies, and Desna a quick journey, so now you may spent a brief respite in Eristal's hands before marching into the domain of Nethys's fickle whims. Oh, what is that over there? I hope your blue scaled companion does not rob that store for his hoard." The whispers of the Maker of All echo in your mind as his attention drifts to other concerns.

Augury gave result of "Nothing".

Pooka, after leaving the ship, stands still, with a contemplative look for a minute. Activity about the area continues in much the same manner otherwise.

Last edited by SonofGrimm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)

27Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Oh, Apsu, you're a great god, but sometimes I really think you need to focus better. They're probably just fakes, anyway. And don't look that attractive, either.

So guys, let's go and hire some camels and get going! I'm very excited to go and explore the tomb! You've got all your stuff off the boat, right?

Oh, oops! I forgot Tyrant! He he, I just realised I forgot something myself. I run back onto the boat to find my pack mule and attempt to get him to walk off the boat, which he does happily.

EDIT: I'll be camping for the next few days, so posts will be short to non-existent

28Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Malagbaal

Malagbaal
Aristocrat

Egh, the Chelish. I hate those guys. Yearly updates to the history books, throwing away their vast and grand history in the name of House Thrune.

I wrinkle my nose slightly, but decide it might be best to just follow my little scaled friend's suggestion.

I wonder what time of day it is, gazing out across the desert sands, hand shielding my eyes from the sun.

I turn, and reply to the larger lizard;

Yes, well I'm a bit burnt from the sun. Probably not something someone with such a majestic set of scales needs deal with!

And yes, Pooka dear, I have everything with me, I reply, hefting my fairly heavy looking backpack. Anyone see a camel vendor?

29Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:46 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

I think that lady over there might own the camels in front of the tavern. Maybe she'll hire them out to us?

I approach the working human. Hey, sorry to interrupt. We're wanting to go into the desert, and were looking to hire some camels. Maybe a guide as well. Do you know where we can do that?

30Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:51 am

Kaboosh

Kaboosh
Drunkard

Ohh, a store selling trinkets! I should rob that vendor of his hoard, hmm, maybe on the way back. Let's see now, Chelish huh, always good for picking up some extra slave muscle, but I am low of coin at the moment, wait, that naked child just said something sounding like a curse! I will not be cursed by a naked man-spawn 10 minutes into the city!

I get the attention of the nearest dock worker "You, what the heck is that child saying, and why does it shake a perch at us? Is it some sort of local custom?"

Upon just hearing what my companions said "And is there a camel vendor around here somewhere?

31Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:00 pm

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

The sun is sinking low, causing a hazy orange horizon. The full moon is already in sight. With clear skies and the dusk cooling, it will likely be excellent conditions for heading out into the desert shortly.

Kaboosh interrupts a mangy looking man heaving a barrel off the ship. "Oof. Ta boy is tryin' ta sell ya his catch. Nu-in mo. Fo' camel, ask Innkep. Now *grunt* some o' we be havin' worken." With that, the man struggles past you. The young boy, spotting Thrax's inquiry about him, approaches, flailing the fish around and holding up 4 fingers.

As Pooka trundles towards the Chelishwoman, the slave utters something. The Chelishwoman sits bolt upright, slams her book closed an shoves it in her bag and interrupts your question. "I am not here to ansver your dumme questions, dragon-scheiße. I am here on important business for ze Chelish crown. Goink sie irritate someone else viz your sub-human grofellink," she says in a thick Chelish accent through a sneer.

32Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

(Sorry, I was expecting more 'net access while I was away, but apparently it was not to be)

Well, that was rude. So typical of people who have just come into power. I bet she's just worried about her new job and that it won't go well and it's just stress making her act like that. I'm sure she's a nice person, really. I'll just wish her luck with her new job to help her relax, and ask someone else.

Um, sorry for disturbing you, miss. Good luck on your new job! I curtsey briefly to her, pretending I'm not hurt by her words.

Stress aside, that was still so mean of her! There was no call to be that nasty. Anyway, I'll go into the inn and ask someone there about getting some camels.

33Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:56 am

Kaboosh

Kaboosh
Drunkard

Thrax gives a snort before looking over the fish, seeing that it is of (somewhat) edible quality he gives the child four silver pieces and heads off to the tavern. Passing by close enough to hear Pooka try to speak with the Chelish woman. Seeing how well that turned out he enters the tavern proper and approaches the closest one that looks like they work there. "I have recently purchased a fish and would like it cooked for a meal. I offer two silver pieces as payment, 4 pieces if it is cooked well." He then looks around, "Now which of you sells camels?"

34Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:10 am

Malagbaal

Malagbaal
Aristocrat

I meander off the ship, following along behind Pooka and enjoying the hazy sunset. Overhearing the Chelish woman's harsh response, I am scarcely surprised. The Chelish think themselves above others and yet in reality, compared to the civilizations of the universe they really are still very young in the grand tale of history.

"Sorry my dear lady, we can't all be so charming as yourself," I comment, putting a hand on Pooka's shoulder and walking towards the inn with her.

"Not to worry," I continue more quietly to Pooka, "I'm sure we'll find someone before nightfall proper. There may be very few commodities in this town but as a small river town, I don't doubt that transport is one of them."

35Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:27 am

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

The Chelish woman gives each of the archaeologists a disgusted look as each passes her by into the Inn.

The inn appears to be of less crude craftsmanship than the rest of the town (though this still ranks it as crude by most civilized standards of construction). Pushing past the heavy cloth hung in the doorway, the archaeologists see the main room of the inn. The area is dark and unwindowed, though this affords a reprieve from the heat. A few heavy wooden tables and chair a scattered about. A stern, olive skinned woman sits behind a table within the inn, pouring over several papyrus scrolls. Looking up from her reading, she nods in acknowledgement. "Welcome to my inn. I am Zin. I am assuming you are the travelers from the Absalom university?" She nods at your inquires about the camels. "The secretary of your department had made for such arrangements. I have received payment for three camels, as well as your choice of pack saddles or riding saddles, a week of camel feed for each, a week of fresh rations for three, two nights of board for three, meals for those nights and two others, each. I am sure you are tired from your travels, and you may want to rest your feet here this afternoon before heading out, or even until tomorrow. Please simply let me know of your arrangements. As to the fish, I will readily cook it now as part of the meal." Her tone is level and cool, not quiet what would be expected of an innkeeper, but not rude. She waits to answer any other pressing questions before taking the fish into a back room, and frying it into a plain, spartan meal.

The only other person in the room is a gnome, sitting prop up on a chair with a crate on it. With a shock of orange hair, he carefully examines a number of dusty antiquities through a loup. A engraved dagger, a small pot and an egg shaped object are lying on a piece of cloth in before him. His pocketed jacket seems jam packed with an amazing array of tools and sundry.

36Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:44 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Hi, Zin! Yep, we're the archaeologist team. My name is Pooka. I turn to my companions. I'd like to eat now and then head on out. I'm excited about getting to the tomb!

That gnome has some interesting looking stuff. I should go and talk to him while we're waiting for our food. I know he's a gnome and probably really attached to those things, but I wonder if they're newly looted from a tomb? I concentrate and subtly cast detect psychic significance

37Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:47 am

Malagbaal

Malagbaal
Aristocrat

I glance at the gnome and ponder a moment the artefacts he's going over, wondering if I notice anything interesting about them. (Hist 17)

"Yes some food would be lovely, though I can begin the cooler air creeping in as the sun begins to set, and I am also keen to continue onward towards our goal. Any specialty I should order?"
I ask with a smile.

38Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:48 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

{I've been told that the only thing that detects as psychically significant (unless you have anything) is something in the gnome's coat.
Also, GM should cast detect forum activity}

Welp, they're all not important, and whatever's in his coat is probably just some family heirloom. Maybe we'll have a chance to speak to him while we eat. I can consult my books for hints, too.

Fish and dates are a speciality here, right? I'll go for some local dish with those. Or whatever your speciality is.

39Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:59 am

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

Zin pretty readily nods in reply to the group's request, and quickly moves with the fish to a back room. The sounds and smells of cooking pass for a short while, before she returns with a heaped plate filled with an unexciting fish and date dish. She then nods and mumbles "enjoy" before returning to the adjacent room, the noise of dish cleaning ensuing.

History 17: The items are of Osarian make, and are probably recovered from a tomb. The egg shaped object most likely part of some warding system for a tomb from the reign of the Song Pharaoh. The dagger is simply particularly ornate.

As you begin to eat, a crazed looking Osirion man with a shaggy beard and wild eyes burst through the door. He says to the "Look here, three travelers clearly lacking something. And that thing is a camel. Now let me tell you, I have the camels you want. Yes they are slightly used, but it's only a few dozen miles and they've got years and exciting adventures to you in your care. Do you want a camel for exploring? I've got one that can see danger with clarity. Do you want a camel for removing curses? I've got one that is an ordained priest. Want one to do your paperwork? Crazy Husan has it all! I'm here to make a sale and I'm not letting you leave without benefiting from the amazing discounts and savings I have on Second-Hand Camels for you!"

Last edited by SonofGrimm on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total

40Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:36 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Well, crazy is right, but he seems entertaining. Almost a pity Zin says she's already received payment for our camels. Better ask to see what's up.

Hey, Zin! I call out to her. You said we'd had camels paid for, right? A gentleman named Crazy Husan is trying to sell us some. Were you going to get them from him, or do you have them already?

41Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:01 am

SonofGrimm

SonofGrimm
Shady Stranger

Zin pokes out from the kitchen, shaking her head. "Yes, your camels are outside waiting for you. Please tolerate Husan. Though he is quite eccentric, he is my best customer." before she returns to her work scrubbing.

"Ah, little scaled one," Husan cries to Pooka, "So you've just purchased your first camel! Congratulations! In my culture, this is a big event! But a camel requires a lot of care and responsibility. And just think, you don't want to get your new camel dinged and ruined straight away. Better to use your new camel for the easy jobs, but have a second-hand camel for the more difficult tasks. And if one camel gets bogged in a sand trap or marsh, the other can pull it out! Hey, I'll even throw in a camel rescue kit with your new second hand camel free of charge! I'll make it pink too, to match your lovely complexion. You can't turn a deal like that! It would be almost as crazy as I am!"

"And you, pretty elf! Your long lived, so you want a second hand camel that you know will last! I've got a fine one, bred in Azir. It's bred in Azir, and when I got it off it's last owner they saw the death of Aroden himself, and I could trust him because it was Sacra the Trustworthy, not Sacra the Untrustworthy. Yet, the camel is still going strong, and even manages a galleon of water to the hundred miles! For you, I'll include a bonus camel maintenance kit, but it'll only need it every 25 years! What's that I hear, that I must be crazy? Well that's because I am."

"Oh and the burly one, surely you'll want a camel as strong and clever as you are. Well I have just the beast. Not only has won every camel fighting tourneys from here to Nex, but it also tricked me out of my breakfast this morning. So help a starving madman out and buy it off me. For a limited time only it's at a fantastic rate, and it even comes with it's favorite camel weight training kit! It'll be the best purchase you ever make, that's the Crazy Husan guarantee!"

42Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:06 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Great, I don't know the first thing about camels. I don't want to drive him away though. Maybe... I'll make something up until we finish eating and can go on?

Um, I don't know a whole lot about camels, but horsepower is a thing for them, right? Good camels have lots of horsepower, don't they? RAM? Something with an animal name, I'm positive! These camels have a lot of those, do they? I think getting a good, powerful camel would be the thing I'd like.

I glance over at Thrax and Janus, gesturing that they should eat faster or help out until we can make our excuses and go as subtley as I can manage.

43Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Kaboosh

Kaboosh
Drunkard

Thrax glances over the crazy man, "I'll take your cheapest camel, as long as it's alive, can walk and not infested with some horrible disease it should suit my needs just fine."

Huh, just when I was wondering where I was going to get fresh meat on the journey, a human offers to sell me self travelling stew meat. Must be a good day.

44Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

He's going to buy one? Really? Wow, he's so kind-hearted and generous, giving this poor, deranged human the money he needs to survive! I'd bet he hasn't sold a camel in months. I'm so moved! I push my chair out and stand up. I'm going to have to leave to calm down to keep myself from throwing myself at him.

Yes, buy an extra camel, Thrax. I'm sure you'll enjoy its 'hump'. If you'll excuse me, I'll go and get our own camels ready.

45Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:46 pm

Kaboosh

Kaboosh
Drunkard

Thrax gives Pooka a strange look after she said that. Of course I'd enjoy the hump, it's the fat storage of the camel and the tastiest area, not to mention the best source of protein, why does she look upset? Oh, maybe she thinks I plan to keep the camel to myself?

Thrax calls after her as she leaves the tavern "Don't worry, there'll be plenty of hump to go around, I'll make sure you get some!"

There, that outta put her mind at ease.

46Digsites and Dragons Empty Re: Digsites and Dragons Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Malagbaal

Malagbaal
Aristocrat

"That certainly is an extremely impressive camel, friend," I reply, trying not to let my amusement show too obviously. I gulp down what remains of my food. "But I'm afraid I'll only be needing the one for my stay here in Osirion, which probably won't be for the rest of my life. Unless something unpleasant takes a liking to my spleen or some such." I stand, and incline my head slightly towards the strange man, before going to follow after Pooka. "Thrax... correct? We will meet you outside shortly, I imagine we have quite some way to go tonight beneath the soft light of the stars..." Unless a sandstorm billows in of course.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum